Thursday, December 6, 2007

TU Opens for Tool!

A certain secret someone pulled some strings and got me and the Muse in to see our first Tool show here in Portland. Thank you-thank you-thank you!!!

I'll keep the review short as the pix are long.

Monster.
Massive.

10th row center thanks to my pal.
Sold out 13,000+ seater.
90% fans on feet the entire show.
TU KILLED.
Tool KILLED.
TU played on stage with Tool on Lateralis!
Maynard gave major props to King Crimson.
There was a wall of subwoofers twenty feet long and five feet high.
I wore plugs and my head still rings.
I have it on good authority that they are louder than King Crimson (even in 2001).

Afterward, on the TriMet trip home we talked to some young Toolheads. I asked them if they liked any of the opening bands (there were two). "Well yeah, we liked TU!" They didn't know anything about King Crimson but fueled, no doubt, by Maynard's recommendation, they asked me what CD they should start with. As I was about to get off the train I said, "The Power to Believe. It's heavy. Play it loud. Real loud."

Here's Pat Mastelotto and Trey Gunn, TU, live at Memorial Coliseum Portland, OR, December 5, 2007.

Click on the images for larger versions.













1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pics!!! I wish we could have been there for the show...